http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping Faiths Faces Kelowna: Introduction

Faiths Faces Kelowna

This is a personal experience exploration of the different churches, temples, mosques, etc. in Kelowna. Through this weekly experience, I hope to become more spiritually-oriented, while getting to experience different religions, and different slants on the Christian experience.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Introduction

This is a blog of my personal experience, of trying to get to at least one service of the various religious organizations around my home city, Kelowna. Based on the 2005/2006 Yellow Pages, it looks like there's some 73 different churches, mosques, temples, etc. that I'll be visiting, on the basis of one per week.

Currently, these are mostly of the Christian variety, including some five Anglican churches, nine Baptist churches, six Catholic, three Lutherans, five Seventh-Day Adventists, numerous other Christian "varieties", one Morman, one Islamic, two Sikh, and one Buddhist. As there doesn't appear to be a Jewish synagogue here, I may take that experience in, in another city.

I expect that this blog and its format will evolve over the time I'm completing this experience. Further, it's intended as a wholly personal experience record, and my experience with, or slant on, with any particular organization/church/temple/sermon/service etc. might be quite different from yours.

I hope to give a little bit of background about that particular church, temple, etc., as well as the sermon/major teaching of that day. Again, my perception may differ from your own. I may also post personal musings and experiences that relate to sermons given, or tangential experiences and thoughts.

My own leanings at the outset of this experience toward any particular branch of religion falls more within the Gandhi camp than anything else, quoted as follows:
Gandhi's religion was spiritual humanism because he declared that the service of the poor whom he called "Daridranarayana" is a true service of God. In other words, Gandhi found God amidst his creation; this creation is confined not only to India, his own land and not Hinduism alone, the religion to which he belonged. It consisted of men belonging to different land and different religions. ... The best principle of different religions, he felt, should be assimilated for the advancement of our society. (Source)
I hope you will enjoy my blog, and use it as one vehicle to explore your own spirituality and faith - no matter what religion it is based on....

Jay Walker

2 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Quest Jay,
You are taking action to fill a void that each of us has within us. Action , in this instance, is always better than isolation. In my personal search, I have found that AA and working the 12 steps in recovery has brought more serenity than my church experience. I attend both and find them complimentary. God Bless you in your search. Tom in Indy

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jay Walker said...

Thanks Tom.

JW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home